[whatwg] HTML 5 Script Tag

Stewart Brodie stewart.brodie at antplc.com
Fri Aug 7 02:25:17 PDT 2009

Aryeh Gregor <Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com> wrote:

> Recentish WebKit does actually respect the self-closing part of the
> <script> tag, and does display both the title and the text (but only if
> the trailing / is present).  I'm pretty sure Firefox is correct here
> according to the current HTML 5 spec, and WebKit is wrong, but I haven't
> actually looked.  (Of course, the behavior in both cases probably predates
> the spec.)

I assume that it's doing this behaviour only for script elements (plus the
empty ones, obviously)?  I tried allowing the shorttag notation in my HTML
parser and it broke one or two sites - not very many, but one of them was
hotmail.com IIRC (it contained something this:

--
Stewart Brodie
Software Engineer