[whatwg] Alt attribute for <video> and <audio>

David Singer singer at apple.com
Mon Aug 10 11:42:29 PDT 2009

At 11:22  +1000 10/08/09, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
>I'd be curious to hear what those problems and provisions are for
><video> and <audio>.

I'm just referring to the rather extensive disciussion of 'alt' for
images, and the concern some have with attributes that 'most' people
don't see.

I do agree that we need to think about both timed-media alternatives
and accessibility provisions (captions, audio description of video,
etc.) and untimed-media accessibility provisions (alternative text,
titles, summaries, links to transcripts etc.).  I'm just not sure
what the best tools are, etc.

>Even though I'm a strong supporter of solving the
>subtitles/captions/i18n/sign language/audio annotation  a11y issues of
><video> and <audio>, I still believe that "alt" may have a use similar
>to what it is used for with images.

I agree there is a need, I'm just not sure how best to satisfy it.
Discussion is good, but let's start with the problems and
opportunities, then look at existing structures (such as ARIA) or
parallels (such as alt), and see how well we can do.
--
David Singer
Multimedia Standards, Apple Inc.