[whatwg] Alt attribute for <video> and <audio>

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Fri Aug 14 04:13:32 PDT 2009

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009, Remco wrote:

> alt attribute? A quick Google search tells me this has not been
> discussed before.

For users who can use audio but not video, authors should either provide
audio descriptions in the video file as alternative tracks, or
supplemental material provided in links available to everyone near the
video.

For users who can use video but not audio, authors should provide
subtitles, captions, or transcripts either in the video or audio file as
supplemental tracks, or in supplemental materials available to everyone in
links near the video.

For users who can use neither video nor audio, supplemental materials are
likely the best thing for an author to provide, again, in links visible to
all.

For users of legacy UAs that don't support these features, feature-rich
alternatives such as plugins can be provided as fallback content for
<video> and <audio>.

Captions and subtitles can be included either directly in the media file,
or scripts can manually support external resources using the cue range
API. Going forward, we will probably also support dedicated formats that
UAs can merge with the video to handle showing external subtitles
natively.

I don't see a need for an alt="" attribute here. What problem would it
solve that is not solved by the above solutions?