[whatwg] Spec comments, sections 3.1-4.7

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Aug 27 18:07:07 PDT 2009

On Thu, 27 Aug 2009, Aryeh Gregor wrote:
> On Thu, Aug 27, 2009 at 7:48 PM, Ian Hickson<ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> > Sure. For example, the UA might want to display the list of resources to
> > the user. In such a UI, if the UI includes types, it would have to use the
> > type="" attribute's value as the type.
>
> That seems very speculative.  Does any UA actually do anything like
> this, with <link>s or anything else?

Opera has a UI to show a list of links. But even if nobody had any UI like
this, I'm not sure it really matters. The point is that the type=""
attribute is to be considered authoritative until the server can provide
the real type.

> > I guess I don't understand what you're asking for the spec to do. Do
> > you want to drop the type="" attribute altogether?
>
> No, I just thought this particular requirement should be "should"
> instead of "must".

I don't see what reason a tool would have to ignore this requirement. The
one requirement that might be ignored (namely, not downloading the
resource if the type isn't supported) _is_ a "should".

> Or should be dropped entirely, since it seems very vague to me and I'm
> not clear what real-world scenario it addresses.

Without it, I don't really see what the type="" attribute would do.