[whatwg] Proposal for local-storage file management

Mike Wilson mikewse at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 28 08:27:43 PDT 2009

Maciej Stachowiak wrote:
> Broader note: loading and then modifying existing
> documents in the browser might be cool. But in
> general, I don't see the win of making the file
> manager the tool to manage data created by web
> apps. File managers are not really that great an
> interface for managing information, and much of
> the time, something specific to the type of
> content is a better interface.

That's what I think too, and my guess for the future
is that applications will be focusing on the actual
information, letting users project it in different
useful ways, and not force them to map it to
physical folders or files.

So I say first priority is to design a first-class
browser storage, to make it possible to build really
good apps in the browser. Done right, this browser
storage may eventually become users' first choice
and ordinary files may become uninteresting.
(There could very well be device-specific ways to
exchange files between browser storage and the
device's own storage representation.)

Best regards
Mike Wilson