[whatwg] Proposal for local-storage file management

Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) ifette at google.com
Fri Aug 28 09:54:24 PDT 2009

I don't want to make the file manager the "primary interface". I think that,
by default, a virtual filesystem stored somewhere out of the user's view
(either in a hidden folder in the profile, or however else the UA wants to
implement) is fine as a majority use case. However, there are also cases
where you do want to interact with the real filesystem. I think that
managing photos is one example on Windows, on a mobile device it might be
interacting with the SD card, etc.
As for how to grant access -- I think there are paradigms that work well
today. E.g. opening up a "file open" dialog and letting the user browse to a
file or directory that you want to give access to. Picasa seems to have also
gotten down the whole "Scan once" / "Watch" thing with a reasonably concise
UI (whether you want the program to look at the folder once or have
continuing access).

Again, not trying to say that it's the primary or end-all use case, but i do
think it is an important one that we are currently ignoring.