[whatwg] Adding resourceless media to document causes error event

Chris Pearce chris at pearce.org.nz
Tue Feb 3 20:16:05 PST 2009

I need to clarify something about the media load() algorithm [
http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#dom-media-load
]

My reading of the spec is that if you have a media element with no src
attribute or source element children (e.g. <video></video>) and you
insert it into a document, then the media load() algorithm will be
implicitly invoked, and because the list of potential media resources is
empty, that algorithm will immediately fall through to the "failure
step" (step 12), causing an error progress event to be dispatched to the
media element.

My question is:

Is is really necessary to invoke the load algorithm when adding a media
element with no src/sources to a document? Doing so just causes an error
progress event dispatch, and we've not exactly failed to load anything,
indeed, we've not even tried to load anything in this case.

Thanks,
Chris Pearce.