[whatwg] Adding resourceless media to document causes error event

Calogero Alex Baldacchino alex.baldacchino at email.it
Tue Feb 3 20:51:12 PST 2009

Chris Pearce ha scritto:
> I need to clarify something about the media load() algorithm [
> http://www.whatwg.org/specs/web-apps/current-work/multipage/video.html#dom-media-load
> ]
>
> My reading of the spec is that if you have a media element with no src
> attribute or source element children (e.g. <video></video>) and you
> insert it into a document, then the media load() algorithm will be
> implicitly invoked, and because the list of potential media resources
> is empty, that algorithm will immediately fall through to the "failure
> step" (step 12), causing an error progress event to be dispatched to
> the media element.
>
> My question is:
>
> Is is really necessary to invoke the load algorithm when adding a
> media element with no src/sources to a document? Doing so just causes
> an error progress event dispatch, and we've not exactly failed to load
> anything, indeed, we've not even tried to load anything in this case.
>

> Thanks,
> Chris Pearce.

Maybe an attribute such as "enabled" (or "disabled") or "defer" or the
alike could be helpful, so that any operations can be freezed/deferred
whenever a DOM manipulation is needed, without caring of possible
consequences (unless the video is being played, in which case I think
that either manipulations should be avoided, and/or their effects
ignored/deferred, or the playback should be explicitely stopped, e.g. by
calling a stop() method, to force the immediate execution of a scheduled
evaluation of new sources, eventually after the UA has asked the user
for his permission -- I'd prefer this approach to any explicite
invocation of the load() method, which could instead be a routine
invoked by a task engine under certain conditions).

WBR, Alex

 Sponsor:
 Blu American Express: gratuita a vita!
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=8615&d=4-2