[whatwg] RDFa is to structured data, like canvas is to bitmap and SVG is to vector

Shelley Powers shelleyp at burningbird.net
Sun Jan 18 08:43:12 PST 2009

Anne van Kesteren wrote:
> On Sun, 18 Jan 2009 17:15:34 +0100, Shelley Powers
> <shelleyp at burningbird.net> wrote:
>> And regardless of the fact that I jumped to conclusions about WhatWG
>> membership, I do not believe I was inaccurate with the earlier part
>> of this email. Sam started a new thread in the discussion about the
>> issues of namespace and how, perhaps we could find a way to work the
>> issues through with RDFa. My god, I use RDFa in my pages, and they
>> load fine with any browser, including IE. I have to believe its
>> incorporation into HTML5 is not the daunting effort that others make
>> it seem to be.'
>
> You ask us to take you seriously and consider your feedback, it would
> be nice if you took what e.g. Henri wrote seriously as well.
> Integrating a new feature in HTML is not a simple task, even if the
> new feature loads and renders fine in Internet Explorer.

Take you guys seriously...OK, yeah.

I don't doubt that the work will be challenging, or problematical. I'm
not denying Henri's claim. And I didn't claim to be the one who would
necessarily come up with the solutions, either, but that I would help in
those instances that I could.

What I did express in the later emails, is what others have expressed
who have asked about RDFa in HTML5: are we wasting our time even trying?
That it seems like a decision has already been made, and we're spinning
our wheels even attempting to find solutions. There's a difference
between not being willing to negotiate, compromise, work the problem,
and just spitting into the wind for no good.

>> However, the debate ended as soon as Ian re-asserted his authority.
>
> Ian just gave an indication of when he's going to work on this again.
> That doesn't mean that research into e.g. DOM consistency can't happen
> meanwhile. It also doesn't mean that debate needs to stop.

No, Ian's listing of tasks pretty much precluded any input into the
decision making process other than his own. I never see "we" when Ian
writes, I only see "I".

Regardless, perhaps Dan or Ben have better arguments than I do to input
into the debate. I'm not helping.

Shelley