[whatwg] Caching offline Web applications

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jan 22 16:34:07 PST 2009

On Tue, 18 Nov 2008, Michael Nordman wrote:

> Fwi, this piece of functionality may warrant some actual consideration.
> I think this would add very little complexity to the spec and
> implementations, but would add a great deal of value. Big bang for
> little buck.
>
> Many applications that use Gears depend on the intercept ability in some
> central fashion. Lets just take an example from Google Docs use of
> Gears. There are two intercept entries for urls of the form /Doc? and
> /View?. Doc provides an editable interface. View provides a read-only
> view. The document id is provided to these pages as a query parameter.
> Upon loading, these cached pages examine the query params and retrieve
> the appropiate document data from the an SQL database, and populate the
> DOM accordingly. This is a fairly common use case from what I've seen.
>
> I think the inclusion of a feature along these lines would greatly help
> existing Gears users migrate to this new system.

There are several ways we could solve this problem, and I'm not sure we've
yet really come up with the best solution. Concerns have been raised both
about solutions like the above and about the dynamic entries feature. Now
that I've removed the dynamic entries feature, it will be easier to add a
feature such as the above once we have more implementation experience and
authoring experience.