[whatwg] Browser Bundled Javascript Repository

Aryeh Gregor Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 13:20:25 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 3:21 PM, Tab Atkins Jr.<jackalmage at gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes there are.  jQuery doesn't put out very many updates, and I don't
> think most people alter their jQuery file.

It's only one file, not multiple?  And people don't inadvertently
change newline style, or minify it using different incompatible
minifiers, or combine it with their other files so that they only
serve a single JS file?  And you're taking into account that certainly
the majority of sites don't use jQuery at all?  And that you'd have to
remove it when the user cleared their cache?

Does anyone have statistics on how useful this would be in real life?
I suspect only marginally.

> That'd only address the things that the various vendors can agree are
> 'standard' enough to push into a common API.

That would be enough for most people.

> It would also mean that
> legacy browsers break completely, as you're depending on the browser's
> built-in libraries that don't exist in older versions.

No, because you could have compatibility libraries that you just
wouldn't load if the browser already supported the features.