[whatwg] Make Vorbis a baseline codec for <audio>

Remco remco47 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 17:47:02 PDT 2009

2009/7/16 Ian Fette (イアンフェッティ) <ifette at google.com>:
> "Vorbis is the best lossy audio codec" - Do you have data to back up this
> assertion? I am not an expert here, I had the naïve assumption that AAC was
> better given that major devices (e.g. iPod) use this format over Vorbis. I
> would love to see some data (other than some studies from 2005 on some forum
> that Wikipedia links to).

Well, it's hard to really quantify this, but it's clearly one of the
leading audio codecs. Let's say that AAC and Vorbis are of comparable
quality. Both utterly destroy PCM WAV.

> "Widely adopted ... in portable media players?" Really? iPod? Zune?

Cowon/iAudio, iRiver, LG, Samsung, SanDisk, Creative, Google. Those
are a few of the companies that support Vorbis:
http://wiki.xiph.org/PortablePlayers

These companies are huge patent troll magnets. None of them got sued
over Vorbis.

Remco