[whatwg] autobuffer on "new Audio" objects

David Wilson dw at botanicus.net
Sun Jul 19 21:46:32 PDT 2009

2009/7/19 Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch>:
> On Mon, 6 Jul 2009, Robert O'Callahan wrote:
>>
>> When script creates an audio element using the "new Audio" constructor,
>> the 'autobuffer' attribute should be automatically set on that element.
>> Presumably scripts will only create audio elements that they actually
>> intend to play.
>
> Done.

This seems like surprising behaviour (and a nasty asymmetry between
markup and JS): for the savings of a single line of code, creating a
new element will automatically result in (high bandwidth) network IO.
I don't think the intent of creating Audio instances clearly always
means playback will happen.

It's easy to see how some naively implemented JS audio widget could
fetch 200mb over an expensive 3G connection, simply by navigating to
some site in a background tab (say, by creating an array of elements
to represent their playlist - something I'd have thought was perfectly
valid behaviour).

David

--
Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.
  — Philip K. Dick