[whatwg] autobuffer on "new Audio" objects

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Sun Jul 19 22:06:32 PDT 2009

Am Montag, den 20.07.2009, 05:46 +0100 schrieb David Wilson:
> It's easy to see how some naively implemented JS audio widget could
> fetch 200mb over an expensive 3G connection, simply by navigating to
> some site in a background tab (say, by creating an array of elements
> to represent their playlist - something I'd have thought was perfectly
> valid behaviour).

I second that motion, not only as owner of a smartphone, but also as
someone with webspace that has a volume cap. Automagic audio element
buffering could deter web authors from dynamically putting more than one
element on a page, thus reserving javascript playlist widgets to those
who can afford more bandwith on an order of magnitude (!).

I believe the burden of writing another line should solely be on those
who want autobuffering, to prevent unneccessary bandwith consumption.

Cheers
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>