[whatwg] Validation

Darxus at ChaosReigns.com Darxus at ChaosReigns.com
Mon Jul 20 13:12:31 PDT 2009

On 07/20, Nils Dagsson Moskopp wrote:
> > How should a validator handle lack of HTML version info when the next
> > standard is released with no DOCTYPE?
>
> I assume the validator will probably check for a current version of
> HTML. Most of the older versions of HTML are subsets of current
> versions.

Say I have some pages on my site that are HTML7, because I know that IE 10
has pretty good support for it.  And I have some other pages that are in
HTML9 which became a Recommendation 4 years ago but which which IE 10
still doesn't support, but I have been very careful to accommodate IE
10 users by various means.  And I want to use a spidering validator on
my entire site.  And I want to make sure that the HTML7 stuff is valid
HTML7 so I can mostly not worry about it working with IE 10, but the
HTML9 pages obviously wouldn't validate as HTML7.

It seems to me that in this case having an HTML version number somewhere in
the document would be useful.  And that this is a practical example.

--
"No human thing is of serious importance." - Plato
http://www.ChaosReigns.com