[whatwg] A New Way Forward for HTML5

John Drinkwater john at nextraweb.com
Thu Jul 23 09:49:17 PDT 2009

Manu Sporny wrote:
> By halting the XHTML2 work and announcing more resources for the HTML5
> project, the World Wide Web Consortium has sent a clear signal on the
> future markup language for the Web: it will be HTML5. Unfortunately, the
> decision comes at a time when many working with Web standards have taken
> issue with the way the HTML5 specification is being developed.
>
> The shut down of the XHTML2 Working Group has brought to a head a
> long-standing set of concerns related to how the new specification is
> being developed. The following page outlines the current state of
> development and suggests that there is a more harmonious way to move
> forward. By adopting some or all of the proposals outlined below, the
> standards community will ensure that the greatest features for the Web
> are integrated into HTML5.
>
> http://html5.digitalbazaar.com/a-new-way-forward/
>
> -- manu

Just one comment on the Action: More Committers + Distributed Source
Control section, as it’s something I generally agree with.

Of course, you could do this today without anyones input, produce a
dvcs repo from svn, edit sections as you see fit, take changes from
other editors trees and provide diffs.
The general problem is that these extra editors need to exist
already and furthermore not cause overhead for that main committer
when they do.

John ‘[Beta]’ Drinkwater        |      john at nextraweb.com