[whatwg] A New Way Forward for HTML5

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Thu Jul 23 22:08:42 PDT 2009

John Drinkwater wrote:
> Just one comment on the Action: More Committers + Distributed Source
> Control section, as it’s something I generally agree with.

Good to know :)

> Of course, you could do this today without anyones input, produce a
> dvcs repo from svn, edit sections as you see fit, take changes from
> other editors trees and provide diffs.

Sure, we could do this today, but Subversion doesn't make it easy to
manage this type of stuff. A DVCS, like git, allows this type of
collaboration by design and without much need to do merge planning.
Subversion is good - git (or Mercurial/Bazar) is better. It would be
nice if WHAT WG would just switch over to git - what are the chances of
that happening? I'd be happy to set it up and manage it if the community
wants that functionality (git.whatwg.org).

> The general problem is that these extra editors need to exist already
> and furthermore not cause overhead for that main committer when they
> do.

I'd certainly use such a system, as I would hope that others on here
would, if they knew their changes would be integrated. Tools would
certainly be integrated, as would most examples, and tests -- changes to
the spec would need to either go through Ian or one of the W3C editors.

-- manu

President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Bitmunk 3.1 Released - Browser-based P2P Commerce
http://blog.digitalbazaar.com/2009/06/29/browser-based-p2p-commerce/