[whatwg] A New Way Forward for HTML5

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jul 23 20:12:54 PDT 2009

On Thu, 23 Jul 2009, Justin Lebar wrote:

> >> That being said, inline spec comments sound interesting.
>
> > I'm not quite sure what the UI would look like, but if anyone has any
> > ideas, feel free to e-mail me directly and we can figure something
> > out. (This would be exceedingly useful once we're in last call in a
> > few months.)
>
> Other people have probably pointed this out, but the hg book has inline
> comments.  http://hgbook.red-bean.com/read/preface.html

That's an interesting approach, but I don't think it would work well with
the HTML5 spec -- we probably need a mechanism that feeds into the current
system (i.e. sends an e-mail) rather than annotating the document itself,
and the document is in too much flux to track where the annotations go --
even the current annotation system (the boxes on the left) have been
problematic in this regard, and they're generally only anchored to
sections, which are more stable than paragraphs. Also, I fear what it
would do to the spec to add a link to every paragraph! :-)

I think we need an approach that doesn't involve in-flow links... I'm just
not sure what the right solution is. Maybe alt-double-clicking should show
a menu with two options, "submit comment here" or "change section status"?