[whatwg] Installed Apps

Aaron Boodman aa at google.com
Mon Jul 27 23:14:02 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 9:51 PM, David Levin<levin at chromium.org> wrote:
> It sounds like most of the concerns are about the 2nd part of this proposal:
> allowing a background page to continue running after the visible page has
> been closed.
> However, the first part sounds like it alone would be useful to web
> applications like GMail:

Exactly. We have something like this for Chromium extensions
(http://dev.chromium.org/developers/design-documents/extensions/background-pages),
and it is really useful. The ability to reuse the web platform in the
background context turns out to be really great for many little
reasons. Like you can just call window.open(). Or include an NPAPI
plugin.

As a web platform feature, you could just do it like:

<head>
<background url="background.html">

The lifetime of the page could be refcounted by pages referencing it.

- a