[whatwg] Fwd: Make quoted attributes a conformance criterion

Elliotte Rusty Harold elharo at ibiblio.org
Thu Jul 30 08:01:14 PDT 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:29 AM, Jeremy Keith<jeremy at adactio.com> wrote:

> I concur. And I say that as someone who likes the XHTML-like syntax (always
> closing tags, always quoting attributes, etc.). I don't think my personal
> preference for writing markup should be enforced in the spec; it should be
> enforced in the lint tools.

If the HTML 5 spec actually enforced anything, I would agree with you.
However the HTML 5 spec differs radically from the specs for
JavaScript, C++, Java, and so forth in that browsers will still accept
non-conforming documents and hopefully parse and render them in a
defined way. Making non-quoted attributes non-conformant is more akin
to a lint suggestion than a hard and fast ruie. There is no such thing
as a compile error in HTML 5. The worst an author will get is a
warning, and a reader won't even see that.

--
Elliotte Rusty Harold
elharo at ibiblio.org