[whatwg] New HTML5 spec GIT collaboration repository
msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Mon Jul 27 07:19:10 PDT 2009
There is now a public GIT repository containing the build process for
producing the HTML5 specification. The build process and source for
generating the HTML5+RDFa specification are also included. More details
For instructions on how one might use the repository to contribute
changes, see the README:
A couple of quick bullet-points:
* Any member of WHAT WG or HTML WG that has agreed to the W3C Patent and
Licensing Policy may have commit rights to the repository.
* If you would like to collaborate on tools, test cases, examples or
specification text, get a github account (free), join the HTML WG
(free) and contact me.
* There are 3 suggestions on etiquette for contributors, please read
them. In short - don't stomp on anyone's work without their
The tools to split and re-assemble the specification (as outlined in the
Restructing HTML5 document) are not yet available. I'll be writing
and placing those tools in the HTML5 git repository in the coming month.
Here is the current process that is used to build the specification:
1. Copy Ian's latest spec from WHAT WG's SVN repository.
2. Apply changes via a Python script to the copy of Ian's spec
(such as inserting the RDFa spec text).
3. Running the Anolis post-processor on the newly modified spec.
If you would just like to take the repository for a test spin, do the
git clone git://github.com/html5/spec.git
Let me know if there are any bugs, questions or concerns with the
current setup. It will hopefully become more usable as the weeks progress.
Manu Sporny (skype: msporny, twitter: manusporny)
President/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
blog: Bitmunk 3.1 Released - Browser-based P2P Commerce
More information about the whatwg