[whatwg] Google's use of FFmpeg in Chromium and Chrome

King InuYasha ngompa13 at gmail.com
Sat Jun 6 14:34:35 PDT 2009

On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 4:20 PM, Daniel Berlin <dannyb at google.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 5:00 PM, King InuYasha<ngompa13 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Sat, Jun 6, 2009 at 3:47 PM, Daniel Berlin <dannyb at google.com> wrote:

> not
> license
> may
> get
> rights

> >> As i've said in other messages, this example doesn't match this case
> >> at all, since the patent license was not given to us by the same
> >> people who gave us the library, *and* our patent license doesn't even
> >> say anything about the library used to do encoding/decoding. I.E. Our
> >> patent license has 0 to say about our distribution of ffmpeg, only
> >> something to say about our distribution of Chrome, which is only
> >> covered by section 6 of the LGPL 2.1 (which allows distribution under
> >> whatever terms we choose so long as we meet certain requirements,
> >> which we do).

> >> That our patent license does not restrict/grant/say anything about
> >> ffmpeg, only Google Chrome, and Google Chrome itself doesn't fall
> >> under the LGPL 2.1 except through section 6.
> >>
> >> --Dan
> >

> > So are you saying you DO have a patent license for ffmpeg and Chrome? Or
> > don't you?
> Why are you conflating both of them together?
> Our patent license covers user use of Chrome so they can play
> H.264/AVC/etc.
> It says nothing about ffmpeg.  Zilch. Zero.
> If you were to replace ffmpeg in Chrome with another decoder, our
> patent license should still cover your use (I would have to double
> check this, but this is my recollection).
>
> --Dan

Mainly because ffmpeg has way more than H.264 and other MPEG4 profile
codecs. FFmpeg has a lot more than MPEG4 and MPEG2 and having licenses just
for those might not be enough. You would be better off integrating xvid and
x264 rather than ffmpeg. Of course, I am not a lawyer, so take my advice
with a grain of salt.