[whatwg] Google's use of FFmpeg in Chromium and Chrome

Nils Dagsson Moskopp nils-dagsson-moskopp at dieweltistgarnichtso.net
Sun Jun 7 17:29:38 PDT 2009

Am Montag, den 08.06.2009, 09:24 +0900 schrieb Chris DiBona:
> > The incredibly sucky outcome is that Chrome ships patent-encumbered
> > "open web" features, just like Apple. That is reprehensible.
>
> Reprehensible? Mozilla (and all the rest) supports those same "open
> web" features through its plugin architecture. Why don't you make a
> stand and shut down compatibility with plugins from flash, quicktime
> and others? How long would Firefox last in the market if it were
> incompatible with those? Honestly.

Please, stay calm. Flash is also evil[tm] (read: detrimental to
accessibility and compatibility) too and I think you know that.

Also, the status quo (various proprietary plugins) says nothing about
how something should be (accessible, interoperable standards); this is
called the is-ought-problem, please read up on it.

Cheers,
--
Nils Dagsson Moskopp
<http://dieweltistgarnichtso.net>