[whatwg] Errormessages in forms

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Thu Jun 25 22:17:17 PDT 2009

On Tue, 2 Dec 2008, Oldřich Vetešník wrote:
> Dne Tue, 02 Dec 2008 11:31:07 +0100 Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> napsal/-a:
> >
> > Well, in the snippet above, the following seems adequate:
> >   <label> Instructions <input name=idfield>
> >            Type in dd-mm-yyy format</label>
> > ...and the custom error message should be set from script, using
> > addCustomValidity(). How is that not accessible? It seems fine to me. The
> > AT can read the whole label when entering the field, and the error message
> > handling is done by the UA.
>
> Alright, I agree, I don't have a problem with it. But is it possible to create
> a detailed documentation for this, including "How do I code it right?," with
> wrong good and examples? In my opinion, if there was a good, clear and
> understandable (for human regular beings that is) documentantion which
> developers could refer to, and if it succeeded in getting known widely, it
> could improve the overall knowledge and accessibility. It reminds of the
> longdesc attribute - it's useful but nobody really knows how to make it right.

I think it would be reasonable to have examples, yes.

I've added one for <label> similar to the above. Do you have any other
areas where you would like particular examples?

Note that Lachy is working on a whole authoring guide for HTML5 which will
probably cover things like this in more detail also.