[whatwg] Codecs for <audio> and <video>

Joshua Brickner joshua at rocketjones.com
Tue Jun 30 13:07:40 PDT 2009

Jeff McAdams wrote:

> Peter Kasting wrote:
>> There is no other reason to put a codec in the spec -- the primary
>> reason to spec a behavior (to document vendor consensus) does not
>> apply.  "Some vendors agreed, and some objected violently" is not
>> "consensus".
>
> But "Most people agreed, and one or two vendors objected violently"
> probably is.  Just because one or two people are really loud,
> doesn't mean that there isn't concensus.
>
> I'm not saying that this is the case, here, but it is possible.
>
> Also, I find the focus on vendors to the exclusion of other
> stakeholders a bit concerning.
> --
> Jeff McAdams
> jeffm at iglou.com

IMHO, the fundamental question here is whether or not the spec should
be concerned solely about creating a standard that is satisfactory for
implementers to follow, or if it should go further and try to make the
standard work well for everyone involved including developers and
consumers.

I am certain that most would like to have a standard that best serves
the entire community.

Joshua Brickner
joshua at rocketjones.com