[whatwg] Input type for phone numbers

Antti Koivisto antti at apple.com
Tue Mar 31 13:19:35 PDT 2009

On 31.3.2009, at 10:02, James Graham wrote:

> FWIW I would imagine that the most useful aspect of <input
> type="tel"> or whatever would not be validation (because validation
> is hard) but would be better integration on mobile devices e.g.
> making the default action of the keypad be number keys, making phone
> numbers from the contacts list available, etc. (these were both
> pointed out already). Therefore whilst I totally recommend this
> feature be postponed for HTML6, I think it makes a lot of sense and
> that problems with validation are a red herring.

This is a fairly important feature for browsers running on mobile
phones. Something like this is likely to be implemented whether or not
it is in the specification. I would prefer it it to be specified for
obvious interoperability reasons.

Validation is indeed a complete red herring, this is about input
methods.

    antti