[whatwg] Input type for phone numbers

ddailey ddailey at zoominternet.net
Tue Mar 31 14:50:31 PDT 2009

My strong sense is that the canonical UI for choosing points in a metric space (time, as typically viewed, being a one dimensional Euclidean metric space) has not yet been built. Using a pointer like a mouse together with timing delays between mouseup and mousedown together with 3D accelerometer data probably would give us the ability to choose any date or real number (bounded above and below by some number), any of a finite number of words from a vocabulary, any coordinate from a 2D, 3D or 4D space, or any node (like a URL) from within the topology of a finite directed graph more quickly than equivalent data could be entered from a keyboard. This includes pretty much all input widgets. What all these spaces share in common vis a vis the human is the conceptual pegs that people assign as landmarks in those navigational realms. In the case of time we have seconds, minutes, days, months, millenia as pegs; in the real numbers, we have powers of ten; in color space we have trichromatic and opponent processes overlaid with cultural nomenclature; in the daily drive to work each day, we have traffic signals, cows etc.; on the globe we have latitude and longitude as well as the more salient pegs of nations, provinces, cities. There is a lot of data that can be leveraged from the speed, acceleration, and position of a mousedrag, even without accelerometers around. The way to choose the feedback relevant to optimizing a user's input may ultimately have a universal solution that works across input domains, but which researchers just haven't started yet to look for. Standardization may be premature.

DD