[whatwg] Micro-data/Microformats/RDFa Interoperability Requirement

Manu Sporny msporny at digitalbazaar.com
Sun May 10 13:14:04 PDT 2009

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Manu Sporny wrote:
>> The second is that you are assuming that @rel/@rev reserved attribute
>> values are the same for all XML and non-XML family languages - they
>> aren't. Reserved words such as "next" and "prev" can be defined per
>> language - or, none can be defined... it's up to the language adopting
>> RDFa to define those values. For a list of the current values, you can
>> see:
>
> They currently can be defined per language, but that doesn't make it a
> good idea.

I agree in principle, but practicality overrode that principle in the
RDFa Task Force. The reason they're defined per language is because:

1. We were specifically working on RDF in XHTML and did not have the
authority to define them for all languages.
2. We also couldn't base a solution on another draft document.
3. Even if we could do all of this, getting each HTML-family work group
to agree on a set of common @rel types would be nearly impossible for
our small group to accomplish while working on RDF in XHTML.

> You are aware of MNot's "Web Linking" draft
> (<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-nottingham-http-link-header-05.html>),
> and the fact that it seems to enjoy support from the TAG?

Thanks for pointing it out, I wasn't aware of that draft :). RDFa can be
used in non-web-languages, so we shouldn't go overboard by saying that
the Web Linking draft should apply for all languages that use RDFa.

I agree that it would be good for web languages to standardize around
that draft for LinkTypes... specifically for reserved @rel/@rev values
in RDFa for HTML family languages. I've raised the issue[1] with the
RDFa Task Force... we'll discuss further on that list.

-- manu

[1]http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-rdf-in-xhtml-tf/2009May/0054.html

--
Manu Sporny