[whatwg] Workers and URL origin check

Drew Wilson atwilson at google.com
Thu May 28 09:50:08 PDT 2009

On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 1:11 AM, Jonas Sicking <jonas at sicking.cc> wrote:

> On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 6:15 PM, Drew Wilson <atwilson at google.com> wrote:
> > Along the same lines, I'm wondering why we require a same-domain check
> for
> > initial worker URLs, but not for script imported via importScripts().
>
> This is because workers run in a security context of the initial
> worker URL. So this is the origin that is used for security checks
> whenever the worker does something, like load data using
> XMLHttpRequest.

I'm not quite sure why importScripts() should behave more like a <script>
tag than the Worker constructor itself. There's no reason why I shouldn't be
able to do Worker("http://foo.com/worker.js") if I can do importScript("
http://foo.com/worker.js").

> importScripts() however behave more like <script> in that they run the
> loaded script in the security context of the worked that loaded them.
>
> > Seems
> > like we ought to have workers inherit the origin of the script context
> that
> > invoked the Worker constructor, but allow the script URL passed to the
> > constructor to point at any domain.
>
> That would be another solution to this problem, however some people
> preferred the solution that is currently in the spec.

Can anyone explain the motivation? A search of the archives isn't yielding
anything particularly useful - the earliest mention I could find was someone
from August of last year saying that essentially the same thing: "some
people thought it was not safe" with no details.