[whatwg] Workers and URL origin check

Dmitry Titov dimich at chromium.org
Thu May 28 12:05:52 PDT 2009

For me it feels the importScripts('foo.js') is a textual #include, while
Worker('foo.js') like a call into an enclosed component. :-)

It seems inheriting origin and base URLs from parent document may create
inconsistency for shared workers since it's unclear which origin and base
URL they should inherit from. Given that, perhaps it's better to keep the
current rule that origin and base are derived from the worker's URL, so
there is consistency between dedicated and shared workers.

Returning to the the narrower original question, what should we do with
redirects during worker loads?
- should we abort load if any URL in the redirect chain is from different
origin?
- should we only abort load if the final URL is from different origin?
- if the same site redirects between schemas (http->https, http->data etc)
does this abort loading too?
- which URL is used to compute the script's origin and/or base URL in case
of redirects?

The simplest solution is to just abort loading if origin deviates in any
part from parent context's, and use the final URL to compute origin (should
be the same) and base URLs.

I feel these should be covered in some parts of the spec.. I saw 6.4 of
HTML5 spec, but it does not cover the workers...

Dmitry