[whatwg] The new content model for <details> breaks rendering in MSIE5-7

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 15:51:55 PDT 2009

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Dean Edwards <dean.edwards at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 29/09/2009 21:55, Keryx Web wrote:
>> 2009-09-29 21:53, Dean Edwards wrote:
>>> Can't we just invent some new elements? We've already created 20
>>> new ones. Two more won't hurt. :)
>>
>> This has been discussed on the HTML5 WG list to death.
>
> Can we revisit this? It seems to important to sweep under the carpet.

The basic issue is that the use-case for <figure> and <details> are
sorta minimal anyway - it's enough that they can justify themselves,
but just barely.  If we have to mint *more* new elements just to get
them to work, that moves them from "barely worth the effort" to "meh,
just drop it".

<dt>/<dd> only have parsing problems in IE6 and IE7.  Both of them
*are*, finally, actually dropping off the radar.  Windows 7 will
accelerate this as people upgrade with an OS that runs IE8 by default.
 Give it 2 years or so and most places will be able to justify
ignoring IE7 (many/most sites already ignore IE6).

In the meantime, we can just keep using <div>s to handle both of these
cases, like we do right now.

~TJ