[whatwg] The new content model for <details> breaks rendering in MSIE5-7

Dean Edwards dean.edwards at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 17:06:07 PDT 2009

On 02/10/2009 23:51, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Dean Edwards<dean.edwards at gmail.com>  wrote:
>>>
>>> This has been discussed on the HTML5 WG list to death.
>>
>> Can we revisit this? It seems to important to sweep under the carpet.
>
> The basic issue is that the use-case for<figure>  and<details>  are
> sorta minimal anyway - it's enough that they can justify themselves,
> but just barely.  If we have to mint *more* new elements just to get
> them to work, that moves them from "barely worth the effort" to "meh,
> just drop it".

If that's the way people feel then it is better to drop these elements
rather than introduce potentially dangerous behaviours when using them.

You say that the use cases are marginal but just as I started getting
used to them I found an awesome way to use them. Now that I can't use
them I feel less awesome.

> <dt>/<dd>  only have parsing problems in IE6 and IE7.

Only 30% of browsers you say?

> In the meantime, we can just keep using<div>s to handle both of these
> cases, like we do right now.

So we drop two new elements for the sake of adding two more?

-dean