[whatwg] <a onlyreplace>

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Sun Oct 18 09:35:11 PDT 2009

On Sun, Oct 18, 2009 at 11:22 AM, tali garsiel <t_garsiel at hotmail.com> wrote:
> When I said an optimization is a must I didn't just mean bandwidth.
> Imagine this use case:
> You have a page with a chart and a table showing data calculated from complex statistical analysis on your huge database.
> Both the chart and the table have "refresh" buttons implemented with "<a onlyreplace ...>".
> Recalculating the chart when you refresh the table or vice verse will not be acceptable by your project manager :)
> The server will need to know what is currently requested.
> The solution is not necessarily to strip the content, but the server must get information of the updated parts and choose what to calculate.

That's not really an appropriate use of @onlyreplace.  Just put the
chart and table in <iframe>s with @name and use <a target> to refresh
them.  That also automatically optimizes bandwidth, since the subpages
that the chart and frame will live on contain *only* them.

(Preventing this sort of abuse might be a good reason to do the "only
<base> can carry an id list" revision.)

~TJ