[whatwg] Workers: What can be done in a worker after call to close()?

Dmitry Titov dimich at google.com
Thu Apr 1 16:57:06 PDT 2010

Thanks Jonas!

So there is somewhat of a consensus on close() to effectively let a worker
run normally until the exit from the current JS fragment. It makes sense for
us as well.

I think the only change to the spec here would be the removal of the 3rd
line in the description of what close() does, so the ports are still
functional, at least for posting from the worker:

When a script invokes the close() method on a WorkerGlobalScope object, the
> user agent must run the following steps (atomically):

> Discard any tasks that have been added to the event loop's task queues.

Set the worker's WorkerGlobalScope object's closing flag to true. (This
> prevents any further tasks from being queued.)

Disentangle all the ports in the list of the worker's ports.

.. which probably is not a big deal (hope Ian will chime in on this).

Not sure about onclose indeed...  Perhaps we can use some time to see if
developers will request something like this more explicitly, then we could
think about it more.

Dmitry