[whatwg] Subtitles, captions, and other tracks augmenting video or audio

Ian Hickson ian at hixie.ch
Mon Apr 19 15:33:42 PDT 2010

On Fri, 16 Apr 2010, Ian Hickson wrote:

> I'm starting to look at the feedback sent over the past few years for
> augmenting audio and video with additional timed tracks such as
> subtitles, captions, audio descriptions, karaoke, slides, lyrics, ads,
> etc. One thing that would be really helpful is if we could get together
> a representative sample of typical uses of these features, as well as
> examples of some of the more extreme uses.
>
> If anyone has any examples, please add them here:
>
>    http://wiki.whatwg.org/wiki/Timed_tracks

I've started filling in the above and writing observations at the foot of
the page based on the examples there. This is going to heavily influence
how I evaluate proposals, so now would be a really good time to check out
these examples and add any more if there are important features that I've
missed.