[whatwg] Subtitles, captions, and other tracks augmenting video or audio

Adam Shannon ashannon1000 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 15:21:05 PDT 2010

If I understand correctly you're just looking for real life cases of
text overlays on video/audio?

If so then:
 - Localized text alongside a tutorial video.
 - Song lyrics for audio/music videos
 - Localized information boxes for live streaming media elements
    - During live stream (news channels, podcasts, sport events) the
(interviewee, host, player)'s information could be localized in real
time (the page can receive updated information which is customized to
user).

Features:
 - Large range of acceptable characters (multiple language support, symbols,...)
 - Simple tags like <caption time="00:01:42" text="Turn the widget
three turns clockwise" />
 - Ability to add more audio/video files at times
     - <caption time="00:02:52" src="sounds/clapping.mp3" />
 - Caption/Text would appear as an element (div/span/p) that can be
assigned an id or class, that way the same CSS/js properties could be
appended.
    - <caption time="00:10:52" text="Now turn the widget back two
rotations anti-clockwise" class="notification-important" />
    - If captions are elements then children elements could be added
for further customization.
 - Optionally image/svg/canvas could be allowed as content if the
overlays are html elements, this allows for further customization on
overlays.
    - Allowing a site owner to apply user defined themes (for normal
page layout) on captions.
    - Change how captions are displayed based on steps/progress in the media.

--
Adam Shannon
 Web Developer