[whatwg] Non-blocking SVG Canvas?

Kevin Ar18 kevinar18 at hotmail.com
Thu Aug 5 13:13:34 PDT 2010

> > Is it possible to create an SVG shape (say a hollow circle) that allows you to click through the invisible areas of the svg canvas to html objects underneath?
>
> Yes. See http://www.w3.org/TR/SVG/interact.html#PointerEventsProperty
>
> -Boris

Another followup.  First, I should thank you for that piece of info.  I was indeed not aware of that particular property.

I tried: pointer-events:painted
... and at the suggestion of a friend, I tried: pointer-events:none

Results:

Opera -- works

Opera (no pointer-event style):
 * click through works fine (canvas non-blocking) -- links, and various mouse events work on the document HTML body
Opera (pointer-events:painted):
 * same as above

Firefox Gecko/20100804 Minefield/4.0b3pre -- very buggy

(no pointer-event):
* blocks everything underneath the invisible canvas
(pointer-events:painted):
* blocks everything underneath
(poiner-events:none):
* this seems to work

uzbl git.20100403-2
* click through works (canvas non-blocking)

So, would the conclusing (based on the specs and the results) be that Firefox is the problem here and I need to file some bug report(s)?  ... or is there any vagueness in the spec that might be the cause?