[whatwg] text-format discussion from today's call

Silvia Pfeiffer silviapfeiffer1 at gmail.com
Sun Aug 8 03:58:02 PDT 2010

On Sun, Aug 8, 2010 at 12:34 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> (This is presumably slightly off-topic, for which I apologise. I've set
> follow-ups to the WHATWG list.)
>
> On Sat, 7 Aug 2010, Silvia Pfeiffer wrote:
> > >
> > > However I've looked at what Ian is up to recently, and I think that
> > > TTML could map fairly well into his evolving architecture, so all we
> > > need to make sure is that he doesn't explicitly rule it out.
> >
> > I also would prefer to keep the <track> platform open to any file
> > format.
>
> The <track> element as specced in the WHATWG HTML spec is intended to be
> format-agnostic. If there's anything that implies otherwise, please send
> feedback to the WHATWG list. (There may already be such feedback, in which
> case I will correct the problem in a few weeks when I get to that mail;
> right now I'm going through mail from around April.)

Hi Ian,

thanks for clarifying this - I guess because WebSRT is specified inside
HTML5 in WHATWG I assumed it was only open for WebSRT, and because the
rendering is also only specified based on WebSRT features, that confirmed
that assumption. I have indeed sent much feedback on WHATWG, some of which
are certain to be misunderstandings that need clarification. Looking forward
to moving it along!

Cheers,
Silvia.