[whatwg] "Content-Disposition" property for <a> tags

Dennis Joachimsthaler dennis at efjot.de
Mon Aug 2 09:09:40 PDT 2010

Ben Schwarz <ben.schwarz at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm really not too sure what pre-existing problem this actually solves.
> Given that a server sets the correct mime-types for a given resource, we
> know what "type" it is already.

Yes, since we don't want to set MIME-Types. I want to be able to set
what a file actually is. Is it a file which is supposed to be shown in
the browser? Or is it an "attachment" (refering to the content-disposition
setting)

> Setting the Content-disposition on the client side creates an annoying
> user
> experience.

I don't think so. What would you rather have?

<download>
(Please right click and save target as)

or

<download>

> If I want to open a link in a new tab, window or download, I'll do it
> like I
> have done for the last ten years—via a keyboard modifier or a contextual
> menu.

No problem with what you want to have, but can't webmasters ALREADY set the
content-disposition? I just want to copy this functionality over to the
client
to prevent that you always have to use a scripting language server-side.