[whatwg] [br] element should not be a line break

Tab Atkins Jr. jackalmage at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 09:21:51 PDT 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 2:24 AM, Thomas Koetter
<thomas.koetter at id-script.de> wrote:
> Aryeh wrote:
>>That's invalid markup.  The first child of a <dl> (if any) must be a
>><dt>.  I don't know what the semantics of <dl> are supposed to be with
>>no <dt>.
>
> According to the spec it is perfectly acceptable to leave out all dt elements:
> "If a dl element contains only dd elements, then it consists of one group with values but no names."

That's error-recovery behavior, just defining how to interpret invalid
markup.  The first paragraph gives the actual MUST requirements - each
group must consist of one or more <dt>s and one or more <dd>s.

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 8:24 AM, Kit Grose <kit at iqmultimedia.com.au> wrote:
> Often a series of links shown inline are separated by a pipe (|) character. In the past I've produced this effect using border-right and other such malarky on the anchors or inline LIs with the same, but I think semantically the symbol does indeed represent a break between the links and that having the ability to style the break accordingly would be terrific.

Bug the browsers that don't let you do so.  Ideally you should be able
to style it however you want.  That's separate from this discussion,
though.

~TJ