[whatwg] [html5] r4949 - [giow] (0) The CSS rules need to do attribute value matching consistently across [...]

Anne van Kesteren annevk at opera.com
Tue Aug 24 19:05:08 PDT 2010

On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 01:00:50 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
> On Thu, 29 Jul 2010, Anne van Kesteren wrote:
>> On Wed, 28 Jul 2010 01:32:13 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>> > I've been working under the assumption that we want to eradicate as
>> > many differences between XHTML and HTML as possible, and that there's
>> > virtually no compatibility constraint on the XHTML side.
>> >
>> > If this is an area where we should keep the differences, though, I'm
>> > quite happy to change the spec accordingly.
>> >
>> > Do any other browser vendors have opinions here? Are there
>> > compatibility constraints I'm not aware of?
>>
>> I still think we should make matching on values always case-sensitive,
>> including in HTML.
>
> Does that not have compatibility problems? e.g. I'm sure people do:
>
>    <P ALIGN=CENTER> ... </P>

Sure, but I highly doubt people do that and expect

   p[align=center]

to work, especially since that has not always worked in all browsers.
(Other than some popular Selectors test suite.)

To clarify, what I meant to say is that I still think matching on
attribute values in Selectors for HTML should always be case-sensitive and
we should not have a magic list.

--
Anne van Kesteren
http://annevankesteren.nl/