[whatwg] [html5] r4949 - [giow] (0) The CSS rules need to do attribute value matching consistently across [...]

Christoph Päper christoph.paeper at crissov.de
Wed Aug 25 00:44:34 PDT 2010

Anne van Kesteren:
> On Wed, 25 Aug 2010 01:00:50 +0200, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:
>>

>> I'm sure people do: <P ALIGN=CENTER> ... </P>
>
> Sure, but I highly doubt people do that and expect
>
>  p[align=center]
>
> to work, especially since that has not always worked in all browsers.

I for one would expect that selector to match that element, although I would never write HTML like that. Imagine a browser or user stylesheet where you would effectively have to list all possible casings.

That is, I expect attribute values that are predefined keywords to match no matter how I case them, because they are semantic – well, ‘center’ not so much –, but arbitrary strings should be case-insensitive unless specified otherwise (which is not possible in Selectors 3).

> I still think matching on attribute values in Selectors for HTML should always be case-sensitive and we should not have a magic list.

How about “[align="center"]” being case-sensitive and “[align=center]” being case-agnostic? ;)