[whatwg] default audio upload format (was Fwd: The Media Capture API Working Draft)

James Salsman jsalsman at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 13:11:01 PDT 2010

Does anyone object to form input type=file
accept="audio/*;capture=microphone" using Speex as a default, as if it
were specified
accept="audio/x-speex;quality=7;bitrate=16000;capture=microphone" or
to allowing the requesting of different speex qualities and bitrates
using those mime type parameters?

Speex at quality=7 is a reasonable open source default audio vocoder.
Runner-up alternatives would include audio/ogg, which is a higher
bandwidth format appropriate for multiple speakers or polyphonic
music; audio/mpeg, a popular but encumbered format; audio/wav, a union
of several different sound file formats, some of which are encumbered;
etc.