[whatwg] default audio upload format (was Fwd: The Media Capture API Working Draft)

Roger Hågensen rescator at emsai.net
Tue Aug 31 23:24:17 PDT 2010

  On 2010-08-31 22:11, James Salsman wrote:
> Does anyone object to form input type=file
> accept="audio/*;capture=microphone" using Speex as a default, as if it
> were specified
> accept="audio/x-speex;quality=7;bitrate=16000;capture=microphone" or
> to allowing the requesting of different speex qualities and bitrates
> using those mime type parameters?
>
> Speex at quality=7 is a reasonable open source default audio vocoder.
> Runner-up alternatives would include audio/ogg, which is a higher
> bandwidth format appropriate for multiple speakers or polyphonic
> music; audio/mpeg, a popular but encumbered format; audio/wav, a union
> of several different sound file formats, some of which are encumbered;
> etc.

Actually, wouldn't accept="audio/*;capture=microphone"
basically indicate that the server wish to accept anything as audio?
Which means it's up to the browser to decide what is best (among a list
of the most common audio formats most likely).

The proper way however would be to do:
accept="audio/flac, audio/wav, audio/ogg, audio/aac,
audio/mp3;capture=microphone"
indicating all the audio formats the server can handle.

audio/* basically says to the browser that it can send anything even raw
data or a image as if it was audio,
and the website would have to respond to the user that this was
unsupported or that they should submit these formats instead.

Although I guess that audio/* could be taken as a sign that the browser
should negotiate directly with the server about the preferred format to
use. (Is POST HEADER request supported even?)

--
Roger "Rescator" Hågensen.
Freelancer - http://EmSai.net/