[whatwg] Javascript: URLs as element attributes

Boris Zbarsky bzbarsky at MIT.EDU
Thu Dec 2 14:56:33 PST 2010

On 12/2/10 2:31 PM, Daniel Veditz wrote:
> On 12/1/10 7:29 AM, Boris Zbarsky wrote:
>> On 12/1/10 3:49 AM, Philip Jägenstedt wrote:
>> I dunno about solid, but the obvious things you can do with
>> javascript: that you can't do as easily with data: are things
>> that are dynamic. That said, in a sandbox the only things that
>> are available as obvious sources of dynamism are |new Date| and
>> |Math.random|.  So achieving solidity might take some work.  ;)
>
> What dynamism does a javascript: url give you that can't be achieved
> by running an in-page script to generate data: urls?

None, except for the fact that the in-page script would have to find the
right places to stick those data: URIs, which might be impossible.  For
example, if I load a cross-site stylesheet, and it wants to have a
dynamically-generated image like so |content: url("javascript:...")|
then I couldn't handle that via script from my page, because I can't
touch the OM of that cross-site sheet.

-Boris