[whatwg] Exposing spelling/grammar suggestions in contentEditable

Charles Pritchard chuck at jumis.com
Fri Dec 3 14:21:44 PST 2010

On 12/2/2010 4:16 PM, Jonas Sicking wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 2, 2010 at 4:07 PM, Charles Pritchard<chuck at jumis.com>  wrote:
>> The red squigly [sic] lines current provided by proprietary IMEs do not
>> cater many uses:
>> They're meant to be generic, and they are.  High contrast, large font, and
>> screen reading cases
>> all come up here.
>>
>> If we can get standard behavior and naming out of it, and some implementers
>> want to return
>> an empty range list when it's called, that's fine with me.
> If all you want is styling misspelled words, then all we need is to
> add a pseudo-element selector which can be styled using CSS.
>
> textarea::misspelled-word {
>    background: pink;
> }
>
> / Jonas

I'd like to see a selector like that for the form fields [textarea] and
[input type="text"].
It would not introduce any security breaches mentioned in this thread,
if it were limited to those two fields.

I believe it was discussed on www-style in part.

I'd certainly like to see it happen: is there disagreement on this list
about such a selector existing?

-Charles