[whatwg] "Content-Disposition" property for <a> tags

Julian Reschke julian.reschke at gmx.de
Tue Dec 7 10:18:18 PST 2010

On 07.12.2010 18:51, Dennis Joachimsthaler wrote:
> Am 07.12.2010, 10:13 Uhr, schrieb Julian Reschke <julian.reschke at gmx.de>:
>

>> It would be great if those scripts could just get fixed.
>
> Do you actually think that would HAPPEN? I think not. Better have people
> get
> rid of them entirely. Though that wouldn't happen either.
>
> I'm still all for such a property in <a hrefs>. I personally hate writing
> scripts to do something so simple.
>
> I think we could name it declaration of content. Why should HTTP, the
> protocol
> underlying the HTML language, have to take care of declaration of content?
> Shouldn't the HTML file itself have the power over that? We have a lot
> of that
> already, like content types, etc. But we can not yet declarate content
> which is MEANT for downloading to your hard drive.
>
> This is a big hole in my opinion.

I'm not against adding this in principle; but it shouldn't keep us from
improving the situation for what's already there.

Having multiple ways to do the same thing causes real cost; you need to
explain when to use what, and define which information takes priority.

Also; be sure to replicate what's needed from C-D, namely the filename
information.

Has it ever been considered to use target="_download" (just made up) for
this?

Best regards, Julian