[whatwg] validationMessage

Mike Taylor michaelaarontaylor at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 13:05:34 PST 2010

On 2/12/10 9:23 AM, Tab Atkins Jr. wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Aryeh Gregor<Simetrical+w3c at gmail.com>  wrote:
>
>> Do you know of any actual authors who would want to use
>> validationMessage?  If there are any authors here who would want to
>> use the validation API with their own UI, would you want to use
>> validationMessage or write your own messages?  I wouldn't be likely to
>> write my own UI at all, so I'm not the best person to have an opinion
>> here.
>>
> When I use a jQuery validation plugin for my forms today, I pretty
> much always rely on the default error message that the library
> provides.  It's rare for me to override it; I typically only provide
> messages when I'm specifying a custom validation that doesn't have a
> message (as the default error message for a custom validation rule is
> far too generic).
>
> So yes, I'd use validationMessage in my own UI.  It's easier, as it
> lets me be completely agnostic about the actual error, and just plug
> in whatever the error is into my custom UI.

I also use a jQuery validation plugin at work--but have a mixture of
default and custom errors--depending on what language the "business" is
testing that week. Either way, I do think that validationMessage is
absolutely useful. In the cases where I might need to change the
message, I'm OK with a mixture of setCustomValidity and using the title
attribute in conjuction with the pattern attribute to describe what went
wrong (which is how Opera currently works, at least).

Mike