[whatwg] validationMessage

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Thu Feb 11 22:40:00 PST 2010

On Thu, Feb 11, 2010 at 6:39 PM, Ian Hickson <ian at hixie.ch> wrote:

> The relevant use cases that led to this design are:
>
> 1. Getting validation of forms without scripting, with the UA doing all
>   the UI work.
>
> 2. Getting validation of forms with the UI designed by the author, but
>   with the actual validation work (including working out what the
>   messages should be) done by the UA.
>
> 3. Getting validation of forms with the UI completely done by the author,
>   including deciding what the messages should be.

I am explicitly opposed to the UA showing validation messages to the user.
 I do not think HTML5 should attempt to address use cases where the author
wants the UA to show the messages.  I think the design should provide the
author with return values that indicate what the results of validation were
and the author should provide the rest of the UI.  In other words, I am
opposed to trying to solve use cases #1 and #2 above.  Any design that
attempts to solve them is a mistake.  Please remove validationMessage from
the spec.

PK