[whatwg] HTML Cookie API

Peter Kasting pkasting at google.com
Wed Feb 24 16:42:58 PST 2010

On Wed, Feb 24, 2010 at 4:30 PM, Garrett Smith <dhtmlkitchen at gmail.com>wrote:

> >> Where is the argument for making the API async?
> >
> > Please see the discussion earlier in this thread.
> >
> Can you be more specific? I see:
>
> | I really think the API should be asynchronous, as to avoid the mess
> | that .localStorage currently is.
>
> But I don't know if that's what you meant by "please see earlier".

There have been numerous messages (well over a dozen) discussing this.  If
you don't see them, try checking online archives, waiting for their delivery
to your mailbox, or similar.

> >> Asynchronous cookies that would mean that cookie setting tests would be
> harder.
> >
> > No one is suggesting removing the current document.cookie API.
>
> Nobody is suggesting you change your tires. Why bring it up?

This response makes no sense at all.

You expressed concern that an async API would make particular existing
patterns harder to write.  The response was that these existing patterns
will continue to work because they rely on a synchronous API that isn't
getting removed; the async API is proposed as an addition.  I have no idea
what your retort after that is intended to convey.

PK